About the Journal
Focus and Scope
The Journal of Contemporary European Research (JCER) is an interdisciplinary, open-access, online academic journal in the field of contemporary European Studies.
JCER is devoted to promoting original research and insightful debate in contemporary European Studies by publishing academic articles, research comments & policy analysis and book reviews across a number of disciplines including Public Policy, International Relations, Law, Economics, Sociology, Politics and the History of Integration.
JCER welcomes contributions on all of these aspects of European Studies from academics and practitioners. In addition, JCER is also committed to providing a forum for emerging scholars of European Studies by allowing them to present their ideas alongside those of more established scholars. Contributions from PhD students in the advanced phase of their doctoral research, post-doctoral fellows and young academics in the early stages of their careers are particularly encouraged.
What does JCER Publish?
- Research articles (7,000 to 8,000 words) in the field of contemporary European Studies;
- Commentaries (2,000 to 3,000 words) which critically examine the literature and research direction of a particular topic of interest;
- Special issues (published annualy in Issue 2);
- Teaching, Outreach and Engagement (in the European Studies context) (4,000 to 6,000 words);
- Book Reviews (up to 1,500 words);
- Foundations of Knowledge (reviews of key texts in the field);
- The unique insights that can be offered by practitioners (e.g. the personal memoir by Sir Michael Franklin)
Peer Review Process
Research articles and commentaries will undergo a double-blind, peer review. This also applies to manuscripts submitted as part of a special issue and all teaching, outreach and engagement articles.
The decision of the reviewers will be acknowledged by the JCER Editors in accordance with eligibility for publication. Authors will be informed of the review decision and all relevant comments will be forwarded to authors.
From 2014, the Journal of Contemporary European Research is published online four times a year.
Open Access Policy
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge. JCER complies with the requirements imposed on authors by research councils such as the RCUK. Registration is not required to read or download an article. JCER is listed on the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) and on SHERPA.
There is no charge or fee to authors for article submission or processing.
Articles are already archived on the JCER website and are available for immediate access.
Authors can 'self-archive' their articles in digital form on their personal homepages, funder repositories or their institutions' archives provided that they link back to the original source on the JCER website. Authors can archive pre-print, post-print or the publisher's version of their work.
Material published in JCER is done so under a CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 licence, with copyright remaining with the author.
- Articles published online in JCER cannot be published in another journal without explicit approval of the JCER Editors;
- Authors can 'self-archive' their articles in digital form on their personal homepages, funder repositories or their institutions' archives provided that they link back to the original source on the JCER website. Authors can archive pre-print, post-print ot the publisher's version of their work.
- Authors agree that submitted articles to JCER will be submitted to various abstracting, indexing and archiving services as selected by JCER.
Journal ranking, indexing and abstracting
Since 2011 JCER has been ranked in SJR.
JCER is also indexed and abstracted via the following: